Friday, October 2, 2009

Bloggers Beat by, Diana Fingal

This article was about tweeting. What is tweeting you ask? It's a service that enables its users to send and read messages known as tweets. Tweets are text-based posts of up to 140 characters displayed on the author's profile page and delivered to the author's subscribers who are known as followers.  The author explains how useful twitter is and could be beneficial to almost everyone. One of the examples she gives, is when you need help with something and you don't know the answer, you could tweet something in hopes that someone would either have the answer or point you in the right direction. You could also keep people informed of what you do throughout your day. It doesn’t necessarily have to be people you know that can follow you. I myself said I would never get a twitter account unfortunately; I had to get one for this class. I find twitter to be very similar to facebook in the fact that you post updates on what you are doing. I myself feel that twitter could be beneficial to many people, it can keep you in touch with people you know, that you might not have the time to actually talk to all the time and vice versa.

 

I am not totally sold on twitter, but see its pros from having it. If I were to use this in my classroom I would have my students use it as a classroom social network where they could have study groups and help each other out with homework or even projects. Most kids are technology savvy so I could even see them helping me with new updates that twitter comes up with.

2 comments:

  1. Aaron,
    Thank you for sharing this article. It was nice to have a recap of what Twitter is and what it is used for since I am a beginner as well! I can see that it is a simple user friendly tool to keep either in touch or communicate short messages. I can see it being used on occasion in class as well if there was a specific assignment with short student interactions required. My only concern with some of the technology we are learning is child safety (internet issues) and then availability of enough computers. Thank you for sharing your information!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaron,
    This is a great article about Twitter, and what it does for people all over the place! I would use Twitter the same way in my classroom. Having students collaborate on projects and assignments is a great way for them to lean. Also, parents can get involved with Twitter and become a follower on their students page. This wold take care of inappropriate things being said on the site, because the students would know their parents can see what they write as well. This is a great tool and can be used for so many purposes! Great job Aaron!

    ReplyDelete