Friday, October 9, 2009

When is Virtual Real enough? by, Kate Conley

In her article she talks about her experience in school, though many did not understand the methods of how they were learning or how this new way of learning would get them into college. She later states that, not only did college welcome this new way of learning, but her high school experience prepared her more for her career then college did. The author also writes, that we should not look at online classes as a less real form of education, but rather, one that has the potential to expand teaching and learning experiences farther than a traditional school.  I kind of agree with the author, one hand we can’t expel something because we are not used to doing it that and we don’t know the success it could really have. On the other hand I still think people need real contact when it comes to education. I don’t feel that as a student we should just have one way of learning, so actually for online learning. There are many pros to having online classes, for example, you can go at your own pace, have direct help when you needed, etc. I do think that many students could benefit from having online courses as long as they are coupled with actual interaction.

 

I don’t honestly see mylself teaching an online class for elementary students, but I could do projects with them using a virtual class. I could set it up where they could ask their classmate’s questions, or me and also make it interactive where they get to not only learn but also have fun.

2 comments:

  1. Aaron,
    This article made me think about online learning and how it relates to what we will be encountering with teaching. I know that there are schools out there that offer online learning exclusively to children. For a child that is a self starter and able to keep on task, I think this could be a good option. For younger children (elementary and juniot high school students) I think balance is important. With that being said, I would as a parent be sure my child had opportunites for social interaction, athletics and other contacts in which they would be able to grow socially. I see online learning as being more of a positive option to older students in high school and college who already have some social outlets in place. I agree with you that online learning is a wonderful option for people these days in that you can follow along in the convenience of your home and on your own schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaron,
    I agree with you 100%! Teaching should be a hands on experience for children especially through middle school. I do see the authors point in that virtual schools would be helpful in the high school and college setting. You see much more of virtual or online classes in college than in high school, but I think that it is catching on. Having younger students experience online activities or classroom settings might be a good way to get their feet wet in the technology. They can then decided for themselves if they like it or not. It is an idea that I think will become a huge alternative for students in the future. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete