Thursday, October 15, 2009

Is it Really All That Testing, or is it You? by, Diana Fingal

On this bloggers beat, Diana writes about who is really to blame for school being boring.  For many years people have given that blame to No Child Left Behind and Standardized Testing. Many different views points were expressed in this beat. Some teachers believed that in fact it is these methods why children to do not like school. One teacher says she feels that the push of business mentality is the real cause. She later states that we do not control the input of our education "business," so we can't expect the output to be the same. Most of the bloggers agreed that it was the teacher’s faults that education was considered boring. Many of them went on to say if they would just come up with creative ways to educate things would be fine. Another teacher said if all students were graduating with the skills to be successful standardized testing would not be a concern. The problem with that though is, that not all students are graduated with the necessary skills to be successful in the real world.  I agree with all the bloggers, because they all have valid points. I do feel that children are being set up for failure when their education is being based on these tests. There are too many factors to narrow it down to tests. On the other hand I do feel, as educators it’s our responsibility to make sure are students are engaged in the material and it’s relatable to them. How else are they going to make the connection when it is time to use it on a test or in their own personal lives?

 

I plan on making my classroom a place where my students will want to learn. I will engage my students by making the curriculum relevant to them and how it affects their lives. One main factor that always should be incorporated is making education fun. If our students come to school knowing they are going to be educated in a manner that they would be stimulated and enjoy it they will want to learn more.

2 comments:

  1. Aaron,
    I loved the content of your "bloggers" article. I have pretty strong opinions about this subject from being involved in education for many years. I agree that it is indeed a mixture of reasons for school to seem "boring" in some classrooms. I will tell you though that the push for raising kids test scores is a HUGE factor. Teachers and principals are under such scrutiny to raise test scores that this is THE priority. Teachers spend hours upon hours practicing and priming students for "the test" instead of sticking to the curriculum AND making it fun and interesting. Yes, the tests are supposed to align to the curriculum but often they do not and teachers are teaching to the test. Teachers are on a tight schedule of how many minutes per day are devoted to Language Arts and Math. These are the two biggies and if there is time they try to cram in Social Studies and Science. Usually Art and PE are afterthoughts. My older children who are now 19 and 22 had (as far as I'm concerned) a more rounded and balanced education. They were able to incorporate art and creative projects to other subjects. They LOVED school. My 10 year old is experiencing the "basics" of a mainly math and language arts classroom. I understand the need for high performing graduates but absolutelly hate the fact that the joy has been taken away from teachers as well kids these days. I think there is a fine line but do believe that teachers need to be trusted in teaching the curriculum a little more and given more creative/professional license in how they do it. I agree with you that learning should be fun for kids but it can be very hard to achieve with all the testing focus. Good article Aaron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaron,
    I agree with u in making the classroom fun and interactive for all students. I think it was funny while reading this, that educational issues are on blogs now, and that people were getting in pretty heated discussions about these issues. I think now though with the technology being taught to the future teachers that schools will not be as "boring" as they once had been. Yes, testing is a HUGE deal within the school districts, but no one said it had to be boring to teach and take these standardized tests. I think that teaching students fun and interesting ways to study for these tests will for one make school less "boring" and they will enjoy test taking for once. Too much pressure is on the teachers now for teaching for the tests and the whole joy and excitement from teaching is sucked away once you step foot on the school grounds. I understand the issues but I don' think that it has to be a black and white picture like everyone thinks that it is. I am with you though Aaron, in making the classroom fun and inviting to all students! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete