Wednesday, October 28, 2009

This Rock 'n'Roll Video Teaches Math by, Margaret L . Niess and Janet M. Walker

This blog discusses the importance of using technology when teaching math. The author tells us that visualization is an important tool for problem solving. She believes that students need a multiple visualization opportunities in order to master this skill. Like watching, analyzing and creating digital videos.  Video clips can be used to make students go from passive to active exploration. The example she used was a movie called In the Navy where Castello is explaining to Abbott that he has 28 donuts to share among seven people. Castello believes that he can evenly distribute the donuts to these seven people, but Abbott disagrees. The teacher will then stop the movie and ask her students why was Castello methods of adding, subtracting and dividing correct and incorrect. You could also ask your students would would be the correct method if Castello is wrong. I really think that this is a very good way to have your students involve with their learning, especially math. There are many ways to make math fun and this seems to be able to not only get the that aspect across, but it also makes the students want to learn more about math.

I could see myself using this method in my classroom in many different ways. One way i could use it would be like the example the author gave using a movie clip. I really like how she made students analyze and problem solves using a movie clip. Another way i could see myself using this technique in my classroom would be by making the students make their own clips on how they problem solve in their everyday lives.

2 comments:

  1. Aaron,
    I agree that visualization is a powerful tool for kids in all curriculum areas. I liked the ideas in your article. The movie clip example was a great idea and a fun way to add some humor and fun to math. I too want to use a variety of modalities and always enjoy a lot of fun visuals and activities that are fun and goofy to get my students thinking.
    Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaron,
    Having students involved with their school lessons is a great idea! I have always hated math and I believe that this type of visualization could have really helped me in understanding the problems. Every student learns differently and having an activity to do will help the majority of the students. The movie clip example is a great way for that kinetic learning as well as visual learning. I would like to use this method as well for teaching students not only math but in every subject! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete