Friday, October 30, 2009

It's not coolness factor that counts, by Don Hall

In this article, Don Hall talks about the emphasis on what is "cool," in particular with technology. He says that there is too much focus on what's cool, when in fact we should be concentrating on the actual tool. He gives the definition of what is cool, by saying that it is a reflection of the opinion of a subgroup's value. Don also says that "cool" will not last. As soon as you figure out what is cool you move on to the next thing. So in fact nothing is really ever "cool." He believes that tools have actually fallen by the waist side and needs to be looked at as the priority. He also states that certain tools are overlooked because school districts don't fully understand them. For example, cell phones, MP3 players, and even laptops are forbidden in some school districts. I was a little bit lost when reading this article, because it seemed that he was talking about two separate issues. On one hand he felt that things should be considered cool because by the time you think it is cool it's no longer cool. On the other hand he feels that the tools are not being appreciated enough. He feels that school districts should embrace certain tools and take initiative to understand something they are not familiar with.

When it comes to what is cool I will allow my class to decide what that is. I do not want to take away from the tools my students want to use in the classroom. I feel that as long as my students like what they are using as tools then everything should be fine. I do believe some school districts are being hypocritical when they expect their students to be technologically savvy, but do not allow certain tools that the students like.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Aaron in that schools are not allowing the students to learn and grow with technology. It like in class, some school districts are stuck in the old way of teaching and they need some guidance in how to learn this new way of schooling. This is what I hope to bring to my future school when I am done with CSUSM. Having teachers who know and want to teach technology in the classroom might bring some new ideas to the school districts. I hope that this is the case, hopefully in CA schools! Sounds very interesting. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete