Friday, September 25, 2009

Grounded Tech Integration by Judi Harris and Mark Hofer

In this article the authors write about s successful way to integrate technology into our curriculum. Even though many people feel that technology has made a big mark in our education they feel that we have a long way to go. In order for us as future teachers to integrate technology the authors insist we follow five steps. The first is to choose learning goals. Second, is to make pedagogical decisions. This will be the parameter of the learning experience you are planning for your students. Third, you must select activities to combine with the curriculum, in order to engage your students. Fourth, is selecting assessment strategies. This will be to gauge your student’s progress in achieving the targeted goals. Lastly, you have to select tools and resources. Many make the mistake and choose this before they choose the learning goals, which then become more about the technology then, the students trying to use them. I really liked how the authors have come up with a new way to incorporate technology to our student’s. I think too many times I have seen schools that have all these fancy computers, but their students don’t really care about using them unless it’s for games or an activity. I feel that we as new teachers can easily incorporate what Judi and Mark have pointed out.

 

One of my biggest concerns about going into the teaching profession was how was I going to get my students interested in the curriculum using technology. I feel a little more confident knowing that if I follow the five steps I will have more of a blueprint of how to run a successful technological classroom.  Another I plan on integrating is focusing on my student’s standard base learning needs, rather than a particular tool or resource.

2 comments:

  1. Aaron,
    I totally agree with you, technology kind of scares me and the thought of putting technolgy in my classroom was overwhelming. These five steps will be a great start in how to get studnets excited about technology and the cirriculum as well. From this class and this article I think we all are going to come away with tools to help our students reach their goals! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This article really summed up some simple guidelines for how to use technology in the classroom. I liked the 5 simple steps. They are basic yet remind us to keep sight of our learning goals, plan engaging activities to keep our students interest high, and to always evaluate and assess what we have tried. I have seen computers under or misused in classrooms by being an afterthought, used by one or two students who finish assignments early. Your article along with ideas we are learning in Ed 422 are sparking my interest in activities and curriculum that can be enhanced by technology. Nice job Aaron.

    ReplyDelete