Friday, September 18, 2009

Walk, Fly, or Teleport to Learning by, Maureen brown Yoder

By 2011 over 20 million will be members of (MUVEs), multiuser virtual environments. This program already exists and currently has 8.2 million children. The purpose of this program is to get teachers to engage their students. Some of the things you get out of this program are content rich explorations, learning social, practical, and life skills. It also gives you the option to go international with other schools. When I first read the title of the article I was very intrigued after reading it though I was not so sure. I felt that this program is and could be a good thing, but should be combined with actual interaction. I was very taken back with the Second Life program designed for adults. Where you create a virtual character and travel through the virtual world sites. I understand that they are trying to get adults to love technology, but I feel this falls short of it. One of the programs that I did like was called, an organization that is trying to inspire urban youth to be successful students and global and community leaders. The way they plan on going about this is by, engaging them in socially dynamic, content rich learning experience. Which also promotes global understanding to each student.

 

The program that I would use would definitely be the Global Kids. I could see me injecting that into many of my lesson plans. Anything that can engage a child and educate them at the same time I am totally for. It could be easily used in a project that has to do with different countries and how they differ from our country.

2 comments:

  1. Aaron,
    I agree that programs are more toward adults and getting them "up to speed" with technology. Programs need to be in the classroom as well. I have heard of Global Kids and it sounds very interesting. I would defiantly want to put that into my classroom. I also like the title of this article it get your attention and that's what teachers need to do with our students. Hopefully, programs will start coming out that are more "child friendly" and teaching our youth about the world they are in. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaron,
    This was an interesting article. I was surprised by the huge number of children that have signed up for this organization. I liked the Global Kids program they discussed and wondered if the children get engaged in some type of pen pals or international sharing projects because of the world wide nature of the program. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete